What is Content Marketing?
Content marketing is the creation of original and valuable content. This is then published or distributed via various channels and in multiple formats; including blog posts, white papers, case studies, FAQs, podcasts, videos and photos. As a result of distribution, content can generate leads, retain existing customers, promote brand awareness and visibility, whilst allowing the business to demonstrate the company’s product or service expertise.
Is content marketing relevant in the B2B industry?
According to the Content Marketing Institute, “55% of business-to-business (B2B) marketers said that it is unclear within their organisation what an effective or successful content marketing program looks like.”
So the question is this: does content marketing have a role to play within the B2B sector?
In short, the answer is yes – content marketing does indeed play a vital role within B2B companies. This is because, every buyer will go through something called a 'buyer’s journey' – and although B2B companies are motivated by enterprise-level dealings, it is ultimately people that make the decision to purchase a product or service.
To begin creating relevant content, we recommend you begin by creating a buyer persona. This will help you identify ideal content topics, types, and channels that may move your target audience closer to making a purchase.
10 tips for creating a content strategy for your B2B Company:
The B2B customer relationship can no longer rely on a one-way communication method – but rather they should look at brand engagement that evolves with emerging social partnerships. The first step for creating content for your business is to begin by creating a successful content strategy. Excentra share 10 tips below:
- Research your buyer and build a buyer persona
- Set tangible and achievable goals that can be measured
- Create a vision for your content that will get customer’s buy-in
- Set a budget for your content efforts or hire a copywriter
- Create a content calendar to stay consistent with how much content you produce
- Measure your content marketing effectiveness based on your goals
- Adapt your content for the different phases of the buyer’s journey
- Promote your content on social media to get wider coverage
- Empower your writers by providing regular training
- Share your results with the wider team
Producing a strong B2B content strategy and investing in quality content will allow your content to reach your target audience, as well as nurture it. To learn more about the ten tips mentioned above, download the 'content guide' below:
Find out more about Excenta's content marketing methodology.